Electrical and Semiconductor Applications
Semiconductor processing represents a multitude of opportunities and applications for plastics. In this industry segment we provide a number of specialty materials designed to meet the strenuous needs of wafer production.
- Ultra-high purity chemical resistant materials for Dry Process
- Flame and chemical resistant materials with excellent appearance for Wet Process
- Wear resistant materials for CMP
- Long-life Electrostatic Dissipative (ESD) materials
- Dimensionally stable materials for Assembly, Package, and Back-End Test.
- Test Socket Materials, IC Test Sockets, Burn In Test Sockets, Fine Pitch Sockets, Socket Materials, Back End Test, IC Packaging, Change Kits, Nests, Contactors, Automatic Test Equipment (ATE), ESD Sockets, MDS 100, GC 100
|Manufacturers of equipment that test completed IC's had problems with dimensional changes of the sockets they used|
|Duratron® T4203 PAI and Duratron® T5530 PAI sockets and nests replaced expensive Vespel® PI parts and handle the broad temperature range present during testing.|
|Benefits: The better dimensional stability at temperature helped to increase the reliability of the testing equipment and extend part life.|
Duratron T4203 PAI is recommended for this application.
- Excellent dimensional stability at elevated temperature
- Exceptional impact strength
- Great choice for impact loading and abrasive wear
|Costly, brittle ceramics were constantly being broken during installation of these microwave communication insulators. |
|Durable Duratron U1000 PEI was easily machined into the parts required. |
|Duratron U1000 PEI has drastically greater impact resistance then the original ceramic - Duratron PEI materials have excellent dielectric properties. |
Duratron U1000 PEI is recommended for this application.
- Excellent dielectric properties
- Available in glass reinforced grades
- High strength
|Engineers were looking for a more cost-effective solution for an extremely high temperature glass handling application.|
|PBI outperformed prior materials and reduced the component cost.|
|PBI is more wear resistant than polyimides. PBI cups reduced product breakage compared to the ceramics tested. PBI was more cost effective than pressed carbon or polyimide materials.|
Duratron CU60 PBI is recommended for this application.
- Highest heat resistance and mechanical property retention over 400?F of any unfilled thermoplastic
- Lowest coefficient of thermal expansion and highest compressive strength of any unfilled thermoplastic
- Excellent wear characteristics
|Delicate complete and in-process wafers were destroyed by exposure to ESD charges.|
|ESD POM-C, a static dissipative POM was able to replace the unfilled nylon and acetal grades that couldn't handle the static present in the manufacturing environment.|
|Economical ESD POM-C safely bleeds away static created during handling while offering the wear resistance of unfilled PA and POM materials. |
Semitron ESd 225 is recommended for this application.
- Safely bleeds away static build-up during handling
- Excellent machineability
- Good wear characteristics
|Designers require stronger materials that handle the physical demands of testing and allow for finer detailing than ceramic filled PEEK provides.|
|Semitron MP 370 uses a modified PEEK base resin for heat resistance allowing it to machine clean and fine features, while improving strength to resist breakage.|
|Semitron MP 370 provides excellent machinability and superior dimensional stability, all while maintaining tight tolerances combined with very low moisture absorption.|
Semitron MP 370 is recommended for this application.
- Excellent dimensional stability, and very low moisture absorption
- High heat resistance allows for fine features ? very small holes and tight hole patterns are possible
- Good compressive strength
|Manufacturers of semiconductors needed a material that could maintain critical dimensions and withstand a broad array of aggressive chemicals in an application where developed wafers were being polished.
|Techtron? PPS replaced coated metals, acetal, polyester and range of other materials that could deliver the package of benefits that Techtron offers.
|Excellent chemical resistance, superior dimensional stability and ease of machining has made Techtron? PPS the premier material for CMP consumables.
Techtron PPS is recommended for this application.
|Although inexpensive, nylon and acetal semiconductor wafer handling tools were failing due to exposure to aggressive chemicals and high temperatures.
|Ketron? 1000 PEEK could easily withstand the temperature and chemical exposure and allowed the manufacturer to standardize their product line.
|The good chemical resistance of PEEK, particularly at elevated temperatures was well suited for this application where limited wear takes place.
Ketron 1000 PEEK is recommended for this application.